JIMMY NORMAN SCORES FIRST CAREER LEGEND CAR WIN AT ORLANDO SPEEDWORLD WINTER HEAT
By Dave Westerman
After a full day of cleaning up from the PRI Mopar Classic the night before, Orlando Speedworld played host to round two of the Winter Heat Series Saturday evening.
Legend Car action started with the Charger feature and for the second straight week, Bryce Walker of Dallas, TX dominated the action. Walker led the entire distance to take the checker over Dallas Ingram, Mason Ketterman, Dalton Bergman, Russ Harris, Roger Englund and Ted Ruffo. Walker also won the Charger heat race.
Lake Mary driver Jimmy Norman scored his first career feature victory in the Legend Car "A" Main as he led every lap. Heat winner Shaughn McCormick spun out of second spot on lap six but was able to work his way back up to second as the yellow flew again during the final lap for Charlie O'Melia's spin in turn four giving McCormick one last shot at Norman. Norman was able to hold on however taking the win over McCormick, Alex Kempf, Rick Wetmore, Russ Thomson, Mark Bibeau, Gary Verdier and O'Melia.
Despite being involved in an opening lap tangle with Zach Harris, Donovan Ponder came back to win the combined Bandolero Young Gun/Bandit feature. Harris, last weeks Bandit winner, ended up backing his car into the wall and the damage was too great for him to continue.
Ponder claimed the overall win plus the first place Young Gun trophy. Carl Haag crossed the stripe in second while James Crow was third overall and took his first-ever Bandit win in the process. Kevin Muglach was fourth trailed by Coty Bibeau and Harris. Ponder was the heat race winner.
Jeff Wright led from green to checker in winning the Sportsman feature. Phil Luizzo came home in the second spot. Ryan Rust and Whitney Poole came back from an early race tangle to place third and fourth followed by Bryan Lynch, Sr., Bryan Lynch, Jr., Adam Soukup and Jessie Cuddy. Wright also picked up the heat race win.
The Sportsman race was Rust's first time behind the wheel of a V-8 powered Stock Car but he also brought his Pro Challenge machine with him and he picked up another win in that division.
Rust grabbed the lead from David Hall on lap six and never looked back in winning the 25 lap main event for the Pro Challenge cars and trucks. Rowdy Gordon claimed the runner-up spot ahead of Jarrett Snowden, Mike Smith, Hall, Gary Orman and heat race winner J.L. Snowden who suffered mechanical problems just before the start of the feature.
A pair of Super Late Models, both with rookie drivers behind the wheel, came to do battle. In the end it was Vince Keeler, Sr. taking his first career win over Chris Bany in both the heat and feature races.
Lee Wagner led green to checker to claim the Super Stock feature win which saw a wild finish as John Hodge and Bobby Riley tangled while racing for second. Hodge was blamed for the incident and placed last in the final run-down. In the confusion, Vince Keeler, Jr. wound up crossing the stripe in second followed by Matt Reynolds, Ray Mullis, Ed Michilak, Paul Marguglio, Denny Johns, Scott Edwards, Hodge, Riley, John Bennett, Daniel Laszlo and Larry Waldis. Wagner and Reynolds won the heats.
Several Pro Trucks were on hand to tune up for next weeks Charity Trucker's 200. Things took a rough turn on lap three when the engine in Tyler Laing's truck blew coming off turn two. Laing's truck spun into the wall while the machines of Phil Luizzo and Pat Mahoney slid in the oil and also hit the concrete. All three were done for the night.
Ross Chastain took the lead at the drop of the green and led all the way to take the win over heat race winner Jason Vail. Newcomer Brent Huber was third over Austin Pickens, Harold Crooms, Laing, Mahoney and Luizzo.
Another big field of Strictly Stock/Hurricane cars were on hand with Casey "Second Hand Smoke" Davis driving Todd McCreary's Ford Probe to the feature race win. Rob Reynolds was a close second trailed by Richard Barrenechea, Gary Thomas and Miguel Barrenechea. Rounding out the top ten were Brian Cosier, Rick Lyons, Tom Stewart, Jesse Powers and Tim Walters. Davis and Greg Bruce, Jr. won the heats.
In other action, Kevin O'Brien topped Emily Cottrell in the Mini Stocks while Rudy Arnold out-ran Bobby Jones, Scott Mickens and Rick Poffenberger in the Outlaw Strictly Stocks. Wayne Skinner was the Classic Car winner.
OFFICIAL RESULTS ORLANDO SPEEDWORLD - WINTER SERIES #2 DECEMBER 8, 2007
1. #9 James Crow (First Feature Win) 2. #97 Kevin Muglach 3. #54 Zach Harris 4. #65 Coty Beebo
BANDOLER YOUNG GUN
1. #8 Donovan Ponder 2. #48 Carl Haagh
PRO CHALLENGE FEATURE #1
1. #18 Ryan Rust 2. #24 Rowdy Gordan 3. #4 Jarrett Snowden 4. #33 Mike Smith 5. #22 Dave Hall 6. #1 Gary Orman 7. #40 JL Snowden DNS
1. #50 Jeff Wright 2. #27 Phil Luizzo 3. #18 Ryan Rust 4. #00 Whitney Poole 5. #54 Brian Lynch, Sr. 6. #11 Brian Lynch, Jr. 7. #45 Adam Soukup 8. #64 Jessie Cuddy
1. #03 Wayne Skinner
SUPER LATE MODEL
1. #7 Vince Keeler 2. #14 Chris Bany
1. #74 Lee Wagner 2. #32 Vince Keeler, Jr. 3. #77 Matt Reynolds 4. #316 Ray Mullis 5. #44 Ed Michalak 6. #32x Paul Marguglio 7. #55 Denny Johns 8. #7i Scotty Edwards 9. #00 John Hodge 10. #52 Bobby Riley 11. #72 John Bennett 12. #16 Daniel Laszlo 13. #54 Larry Waldis DNS
1. #2 Jimmy Norman 2. #34 Shaughn McCormick 3. #99 Alex Kempf 4. #06 Rick Wetmore 5. #69 Russ Thomson 6. #65 Mark Beebo 7. #44 Gary Verdier 8. #48 Charlie Omellia
1. #36 Ross Chastain 2. #407 Jason Vail 3. #64 Brent Huber 4. #1 Austin Pickens 5. #5 Harold Crooms 6. #39 Tyler Laing 7. #84 Pat Mahoney 8. #27 Phil Luizzo
1. #44 Kevin O'Brien 2. #19 Emily Cottrell
OUTLAW STRICTLY STOCK
1. #7 Rudy Arnold 2. #8 Bobby Jones 3. #9 Scott Mickens 4. #43 Rick Poffenberger
1. #77 Casey Davis 2. #A1 Rob Reynolds 3. #20x Richard Barrenechea 4. #76 Gary Thomas 5. #22 Miguel Barrenechea 6. #35 Brian Cosier 7. #104.1 Rick Lyons 8. #66 Tom Stewart 9. #4x Jessie Powers 10. #29 Tim Walters 11. #86 Cody Bryant 12. #36 G.T. Maloney 13. #72 John McMahen 14. #8b Greg Bruce, Jr. 15. #4U Greg Bruce, Sr. 16. #7R Enrique Romero 17. #4 Devon Cuddy 18. #15 Roger Mullins 19. #38 Kenny Lokey 20. #36X Joe Silva