Orlando Speedworld Opens Winternationals
by Dave Westerman
Tolliver Smith - Pro Legends Winner
Action was hot and heavy as Orlando Speedworld's 2004 Winternationals began the first of five consecutive nights of racing with plenty of close competition.
The REMAX Legends cars were split into three groups for the evening, Semi-Pro, Pro, and Masters.
The Semi-Pro race featured a great battle between 13-year-old Sam Watts of Winter Springs, FL and 17-year-old Jeremy Colangelo of Longwood, FL.
Watts led the opening six rounds of the 25 lap scramble until Colangelo passed him to lead laps seven and eight. A turn two tangle between Wesley McLeod and Daren Jon Vanderly slowed the action at that point.
On the restart, Colangelo's car was not as quick and Watts re-took the lead on lap nine. Not to be denied, Colangelo gathered up a second head of steam and took over the top spot again on lap 14, but again a caution was needed as Darin Coker slammed the turn four wall. Coker was not hurt but his car was badly damaged.
Colangelo's car again faltered on the restart and he quickly fell back to fifth as Watts re-claimed the lead on lap 16 and was never headed from that point. Greg Floyd came home second followed by Chris Wilson, Scooter Hills and Colangelo.
Heats for Semi-Pro were won by Watts and Floyd.
Veteran REMAX Legends Masters driver Clay Hair used a "bump and run" tactic to claim victory in his 20-lap main event.
Halifax, Nova Scotia driver Cy Harvey grabbed the initial lead and was being pressed hard by four-time Georgia State Champion Dwight Pilgrim until Pilgrim spun in turn two on lap eleven for the race's only caution flag.
North Carolina driver Hair moved into second and began to put the pressure on Harvey giving him a little "nudge" in turn three on lap 15 to snare the lead and race to victory. Harvey held on for second followed by Brian Weimer, Larry Friddle, and Cotton Spry who came from deep in the field after problems in his heat.
Masters heat wins went to Harvey and Friddle.
The REMAX Legends Pro division race was a wild one with Tolliver Smith of High Point, NC leading all the way. It wasn't as easy as it sounds as young Jesse Smith of St. Louis, MO closed in late and came up just short in his "Spam Can" racer. Josh Waring was third just ahead of Jason Reisman and Kayne Hickman.
Local driver Patrick Conrad won the first heat and was expected to be a favorite but he was forced high on the initial start and tagged the wall, knocking him out of the running. TN driver Fred Hardwick was running a strong second before taking his machine to the pits during one of the many caution flag periods. Tolliver Smith also won the second Pro heat.
Cosby, TN's Brian Ball ran off and hid from the Dan Webster for U.S. Senate Classic Car field in their 15-lap run. Maryland driver Allen Cullum rode home second followed by Bill Posey, Jay Ball and Corey Freed.
Matt Lassiter of Grifton, NC dominated the Thunder Roadsters as he swept to a big advantage early and led the entire distance. Jim Fluharty, Jim Gresham, Trick Standing, and Jim Wade trailed Lassiter.
Chad Akins topped the Bandelero Bandits feature while Jake Crum checkered first in the Bandelero Young Guns race and Marci Bristol was tops in the Bandelero Outlaws.
RESULTS - NIGHT ONE - 2004 OSW WINTERNATIONALS - 2/10/04:
REMAX LEGENDS SEMI-PRO (25 Laps):
1) Sam Watts, Winter Springs, FL #73
2) Greg Floyd, Owensboro, KY #13
3) Chris Wilson, Crossville, TN #10
4) Scooter Hills, Lebanon, TN #16
5) Jeremy Colangelo, Longwood, FL #05
6) Jake Crum, Statesville, NC #1
7) Kyle Hall, Bashwood, MO #69
8) Keith Breasbois, Gainesville, GA #41
9) Derrick Wood, Orlando, FL #33
10) Wesley McCleod, Altamonte Springs, FL #22
11) Daren Jon Vanderly, Chunchula, AL #2D
12) Eddie Idec, Lakewood, NJ #8
13) Justin Petcosky, Vestal, NY #77
14) Darin Coker, Palm Beach Gardens, FL #00
REMAX LEGENDS PRO (25 Laps):
1) Tolliver Smith, High Point, NC #21
2) Jesse Smith, St. Lousis, MO #91
3) Josh Waring, Concord, NC #13
4) Jason Reisman, Mooresville, NC #25
5) Kayne Hickman, Soddy-Daisy, TN #H3
6) Jason Urso, Binghampton, NY #99
7) Gary Bales, Sunbury, OH #69
8) Gene Conley, Lewisville, TX #27
9) G.E. Chapman, Concord, NC #29
10) Eric King, Hartsville, SC #1
11) Jason Davis, Clarksville, TN #23
12) Tony Harbury, Owego, NY #45
13) Danny Jackson, Loveland, OH #5
14) Ricky Losh, Joppa, MD #24
15) Tim Woodlee, McMirrville, TN #0
16) Beau Slocumb, Juliette, GA #8
17) Craig Haack, Lewisburg, TN #8Ball
18) Brent Seeley, Dallas, TX #2T
19) Randy Brunelle, Malone, NY
20) Jason Miller, Berryville, VA #94
21) James Inscoe, Douglasville, GA #10
22) Fred Hardwick, Dandridge, TN #2H
23) Patrick Conrad, Clermont, FL #2
REMAX LEGENDS MASTERS (20 Laps):
1) Clay Hair, Mt. Pleasant, NC #29
2) Cy Harvey, Halifax, NS #37
3) Brian Weimer, Cummings, GA #40
4) Larry Friddle, Greenville, SC #8
5) Cotton Spry, Salisbury, NC #16NC
6) Jim Mayrand, Jr., S. Deerfield, MA #15
7) Hermann Greinig, Addison, IL #78
8) Delacy Peavy, Havana, FL #59
9) Robert Brierton, Calcium, NY #74
10) Derek Hales, Norfolk, England #1
11) Rick Losh, Joppa, MD #00
12) Doc Erickson, Elizabeth, KY #0
13) Troy Van Allen, Concord, NC #2X
14) Jesse Carter, Nashville, TN #20
15) Nancy Hardwick, Dandridge, TN #16TN
16) Butch Wills, Covington, OH #12
17) Ed Evans, Kirkwood, NY #53
18) Dwight Pilgram, Stockbridge, GA #73
19) Robert Merino, Plano, TX #42
20) Tommy Jordan, Hartsville, SC #1SC
21) Steve Kidwell, Duck Key, FL #3
22) Bob Wilson, Beverly Hills, FL #27W
DAN WEBSTER FOR U.S. SENATE CLASSIC CARS (15 Laps):
1) Brian Ball, Cosby, TN #33
2) Allen Cullum, Hampstead, MD #12X
3) Bill Posey, Rockledge, FL #00
4) Jay Ball, Knoxville, TN #04
5) Corey Freed, Orlando, FL #44
6) Ed Yates, Orlando, FL #74
7) Robert Seaton, Knoxville, TN #87
8) Randy Grief, Orlando, FL #31
9) Beaver Daughtrey, Eustis, FL #17
10) Ben Booth, Deland, FL #12
THUNDER ROADSTERS (20 Laps):
1) Matt Lassiter, Grifton, NC #26
2) Jim Fluharty, Concord, NC #15
3) Jim Gresham, Hampton, GA #7-11
4) Trick Standing, Virginia Beach, VA #15x
5) Jim Wade, New Smyrna Beach, FL #60
6) Doc Erickson, Elizabeth, KY #1
7) Bill Manful, Myakka City, FL #48
8) Brun Hudson, Deltona, FL #90
9) Gene Davis, Myakka City, FL #02
BANDELERO BANDITS (15 Laps):
1) Chad Akins, Daytona Beach, FL #60
2) Gerald White, Jr., Lakelkand, FL #38
3) Blake Eden, Deland, FL #17
4) Ryan Rust, Port St. Lucie, FL #18
5) Conner Elliott, Meridian, ID #6
6) Donavan Ponder, Orlando, FL #8
BANDELERO YOUNG GUNS (15 Laps):
1) Jake Crum, Statesville, NC #1
2) Nick Wesnick, Orlando, FL #7
3) Derrick Wood, Orlando, FL #33
1) Marci Bristol, Sharpsburg, GA #54 (Outlaws winner)
Have an opinion on this story? Post a message on our Message Board!
<email@example.com>or send a letter to the editor!