TIME TO RACE!!
Top Gun Sprint Cars see Kurtz win at VSP
|The Top Gun Sprints made their second visit of 2009 to Volusia Speedway Park on Saturday June 25, 2009. There were 25 cars at the track to give fans three heat races and a 25 lap feature race.
After rain delayed the eveningís races, Matt Kurtz in the 91 car had the pole for the start of the first heat race. After the first start was called back, Matt took the lead on the second start and led the heat from start to finish.
The 8 of Rich Alexander had the pole for the start of the second heat race with Mark Ruel Jr. in the 83 car on the outside. It was the 83 that made the better start and took the race lead. Ryan Partinís 14 car came to a stop at turn four on the first lap bringing out the caution flag while the car was removed from the track. The race got back underway and Mark Ruel led from start to finish to take the heat win.
Tommy Denton in the X car had the pole for the start of the third and final heat race and led for the whole race to take the heat win.
The 27 of Troy Knowles had the pole for the start of the feature race event, with the 92 of Matt Kurtz alongside. After a parade lap, the race went to green and it was Matt Kurtz in the 92 car that took the lead. The 18 car pulled in on the first lap.
The first caution of the night came on lap 3 when the 22s car driven by Terry Weatherspoon spun and stopped coming out of turn 2. Although the car was fired back off, it did not restart the race and instead pulled into the infield off the back straight. The race got back to green with Matt Kurtz still in the lead, but only two laps later, the 27 of Troy Knowles and the X of Tommy Denton both ended up stalled out at the bottom of the track coming out of turn 2 and as the other cars moved to avoid the stricken cars, somehow the Wee3 of Otto Scrape went up high and barrel rolled out of turn 2 and part way down the back straightaway, bringing out the first red flag of the race.
Otto was not injured in the accident. Once his car had been removed from the track and the other cars were re-fired, the race got back underway.
Mark Ruel Jr. retired the 83 car from the race on lap 6, followed by the 71 of Steve Stone and the 00 of Brandon Grubaugh, both on lap 7. As Gene Lasker worked his way up into second place to try and make a challenge for the lead, A.J. Maddox pulled off in the 3X with a damaged wing on lap 12, followed by the Rich Alexander in the 8 car on lap 14.
On lap 23, the leaders had just passed the 56 car of Allan Kaluzniak coming out of turn 4 and as they made their way into turn one, the 56 car started rolling end over end down the front straightaway. As the 14 dived to the bottom of the track to avoid the 56, the mud sucked him into the wall, catching his wing on the fence and spinning the car around and back into the wall.
The red flag was brought out for the second time. Allan Kaluzniak in the 56 was taken for a medical review complaining of chest pains. With 22 laps completed, the race was called, with Matt Kurtz in the 92 car claiming the win, followed by Gene Lasker in the 02 car, Tony Agin in the 38 car, Bruce Durden in the 17D and Keith Butler in the 19 car rounding out the top 5
1) 92 Matt Kurtz (Jacksonville, FL)
2) 17D Bruce Durden (Jacksonville, FL)
3) 6 Mike Schroder (Southwest Ranches, FL)
4) 19 Keith Butler (Riverview, FL)
5) 21A Amanda Ferguson (Montverde, FL)
6) 22s A.J. Parish (Jacksonville, FL)
The 04 of T.W. Parkinson from Lake City and the 00 of Brandon Grubaugh from Ocala did not start the heat race.
1) 83 Mark Ruel Jr. (Jacksonville, FL)
2) 27 Troy Knowles (Gibsonton, FL)
3) 56 Allen Kaluzniak (Jacksonville Beach, FL)
4) 3X A. J. Maddox (Brandon, FL)
5) 8 Rich Alexander (Tampa, FL)
6) 14 Ryan Partin (Orlando, FL)
The 17 of Mark Chicca from Port Orange and the 30 of Rocky Sullivan from Plant City did not start the heat race.
1) X Tommy Denton (Orange Park, FL)
2) 38 Tony Agin (Fort Myers, FL)
3) 02 Gene Lasker (Tampa, FL)
4) Wee3 Otto Scrape (Jacksonville, FL)
5) 83A Christine Auld (Largo, FL)
6) 99 Danny Jones (Land OíLakes, FL)
7) 18 Jeanette Burnett (Riverview, FL)
The 71 of Steve Stone from Orlando and the 2 of Rich Pratt from Anthony, FL did not start the heat race.
1) 92 Matt Kurtz; 2) 02 Gene Lasker; 3) 38 Tony Agin; 4) 17D Bruce Durden; 5) 19 Keith Butler; 6) 56 Allen Kaluzniak; 7) 6 Mike Schroder; 8) 14 Ryan Partin; 9) 21A Amanda Ferguson; 10) 83A Christine Auld; 11) 8 Rich Alexander; 12) 3X A.J. Maddox; 13) 71 Steve Stone; 14) 00 Brandon Grubaugh; 15) 83 Mark Ruel Jr.; 16) 27 Troy Knowles; 17) Wee3 Otto Scrape; 18) X Tommy Denton; 19) 22s Terry Weatherspoon (change of driver from the heat); 20) 18 Jeanette Burnett
The 99 of Danny Jones, 17 of Mark Chicca, 2 of Rich Pratt, 30 of Rocky Sullivan and 04 of T.W. Parkison did not take the start of the feature race.
|Have an opinion on
this story? Post a message on
our Message Board! or Email KARNACto send a letter to the editor!