Gene Lasker tops Top Gun Sprint Car Feature at Ocala Speedway
The Top Gun Sprints made their second visit of 2009 to Ocala Speedway on November 13, 2009 for their final race of the season. There were 19 cars at the track to give fans three heat races and a 25 lap feature race.
Mike Schroder in the 6 car has the pole for the start of the first heat race with Rich Pratt in the 2 car on the outside. The 2 car took the race lead and led up until the last turn of the last lap when he was passed by Shane Kreidler in the 16 car who took the heat win.
Gene Lasker was supposed to have the pole for the start of the second heat race but when he was unable to make the heat race due to a mechanical issue, the pole went to Mark Ruel Jr. in the 83 car. Rocky Sullivan in the 15 car was on the outside. It was the 83 car that made the better start and led the heat from start to finish to take the win.
The 27 car of Troy Knowles had the pole for the third and final heat race alongside Danny Jones in the 11D on the outside. The 11D took the race lead on the first lap and went on to win the heat.
The feature race was lined up using passing points and a 4 car inversion, putting Mark Ruel Jr. in the 83 on the pole with Danny Jones in the 11D on the outside. Gene Lasker in 02 car started at the rear because he did not start the heat race. The 83 made a good start and took the early race lead. Mike Schroder retired the 6 car from the race after only 2 laps due to handling issues and was followed one lap later by John T. Crowder in the 30 car, while the 02 started to make his way towards the front.
The first of four cautions was on lap 9 when Jeanette Burnett spun the 18 car at turn 2. While she was being fired back off, the 21M of Darrin Miller and the X of Rick Martin both retired from the race. The race got back to green and as the cars came through turn one, Shane Kreidler in the16 car made a move on the 83 and took the race lead. Brandon Grubaugh pulled the 4 off into the infield on lap 15.
The second caution was on lap 16 when the 27 car of Troy Knowles spun in turn 4. During the caution, the 2 of Rich Pratt and the 8 of Rich Alexandor both pulled off the race track and out of the race. The race got back to green and the 02 had worked his way up to the top 5. The third caution followed on lap 18 when the 83 of Mark Ruel Jr. spun coming out of turn 4 after suffering some front wing damage that affected the handling of the car. The 83 hit the tire barrier hard and was done for the night.
The rest of the field lined back up for the restart and the race got back to green. On lap 21, the 02 car driven by Gene Lasker who had started the race in 18th position took the race lead. The last caution of the race was on lap 23 when the 27 of Troy Knowles and the 18 of Jeanette Burnett got together at turn 4 and the 21 of Mark Berlock stopped to avoid hitting them.
All three cars were re-fired and rejoined the race. Gene Lasker held on to the lead and took the feature race win. Shane Kreidler in the 16 finished in second place followed by the 44 of Michael Miller, Ryan Partin the 14 and Danny Jones in the 11D rounded out the top five.
Ryan Partin is the 2009 Top Gun series points Champion.
Top Gun Sprints
Ocala Speedway, November 13, 2009
1) 16 Shane Kreidler (Jupiter, FL)
2) 2 Rich Pratt (Anthony, FL)
3) 6 Mike Schroder (Southwest Ranches, FL)
4) 21M Darrin Miller (Tampa, FL)
5) 4 Brandon Grubaugh (Ocala, FL)
6) 30 John T. Crowder (Summerfield, FL)
1) 83 Mark Ruel Jr. (Jacksonville, FL)
2) 15 Rocky Sullivan (Plant City, FL)
3) 9 Tim Grubaugh (Silver Springs, FL)
4) X Rick Martin (Plant City, FL)
5) 18 Jeanette Burnett (Riverview, FL)
The 02 of Gene Lasker from Tampa did not start the heat race.
1) 11D Danny Jones (Land O’Lakes, FL)
2) 14 Ryan Partin (Orlando, FL)
3) 44 Michael Miller (Long Beach, MS)
4) 27 Troy Knowles (Gibsonton, FL)
5) 8 Rich Alexandor (Tampa, FL)
6) 21A Amanda Ferguson (Montverde, FL)
7) 21 Mark Berlock
1) 02 Gene Lasker; 2) 16 Shane Kreidler; 3) 44 Michael Miller; 4) 14 Ryan Partin; 5) 11D Danny Jones; 6) 21A Amanda Ferguson; 7) 15 Rocky Sullivan; 8) 9 Tim Grubaugh; 9) 27 Troy Knowles; 10) 18 Jeanette Burnette; 11) 83 Mark Ruel Lr.; 12) 2 Rich Pratt; 13) 8 Rich Alexandor; 14) 4 Brandon Grubaugh; 15) 21M Darrin Miller; 16) X Rick Martin; 17) 30 John T. Crowder; 18) 6 Mike Schroder; 19) 21Mark Berlock
Have an opinion on
this story? Post a message on
The Real Racin USA Florida Fan Message Board! or Email KARNACto send a letter to the editor!