Amanda Ferguson Gets First Sprint Car Win
By Curtis Whalin
The Checkered Flag Sprint Series (CFSS) returned to Charlotte County Motorsports Park on Saturday October 17, 2009 with 17 cars to run two heat races and a 30 lap feature race.
Geoff Styner in the 15JR had the pole for the start of the first heat race with Frankie Hurst in the 6 on the outside. The 15JR made a good start and took the race lead.
The 51 car of Mark Gimmler spun on the back straightaway on lap 4 but was able to keep the car going but the 31 car of Channing Conley spun at turn 4 on the same lap bringing out the caution flag. On the restart, Gary Gimmler in the 29 car was able to pass the 15JR and take the lead and the heat win.
The second heat saw the 69 of Ric Voisey on the pole alongside Amanda Ferguson in the 20 car. The 20 made the better start and lead the heat from start to finish, taking the second heat win.
For the feature race event, Geoff Styner was on the pole. Frankie Hurst in the 6 car was scheduled to start on the outside but due to a problem with the car, Frankie opted to start from the rear giving the outside pole to Amanda Ferguson in the 20 car.
Amanda made a great start and took the initial race lead, and then started to pull away from the field as the battle for second place took place between the 19 of Keith Butler, 29 of Gary Gimmler, 51 of Mark Gimmler and the 67 of Scott Adema.
Amanda continued to pull away until lap 14 when the J1 of Michael Tharpe spun at turns 3 and 4, bringing out the caution flag. The 19T driven by Robbie Hackett and the 7 of Robert Parrow pulled into the infield under the caution while the J1 was pushed back off.
The track got back to green and Amanda was able to hold the pack back and pull ahead to build a small cushion back up behind her. The 19, 29 & 51 continued to battle for second, third & fourth place. The second caution of the race came on lap 25 when the 21 of Jimmy Alvis and the 82 of Brian Maddox got together at turns 1 and 2. The 21 was done for the night, the 82 was able to rejoin the race and the 6 of Frankie Hurst pulled off the track while the caution flag was out.
Back under green, Amanda was again able to hold off the field and keep the lead for the last six laps and take her first sprint car feature win. Amanda also takes the Barfield Clean Sweep Award for winning both her heat race and the feature race. Keith Butler in the 19 car finished in second place, followed by Gary Gimmler in the 29, Mark Gimmler in the 51 and Scott Adema in the 67 car finished out the top 5.
The staff and racers of the CFSS would like to thank everyone for their support and hope to see you at the next race which will be back at Charlotte County Motorsports Park on November 7th.
1) 20 Amanda Ferguson; 2) 19 Keith Butler; 3) 29 Gary Gimmler; 4) 51 Mark Gimmler; 5) 67 Scott Adema; 6) 22 Dustin Henderson; 7) 82 Brian Maddox; 8) 15Jr Geoff Styner; 9) 31 Channing Conley; 10) 2 A.J. Maddox; 11) J1 Michael Tharpe; 12) 69 Ric Voisey; 13) 6X Skeeter Faulconer; 14) 21 Jimmy Alvis; 15) 6 Frankie Hurst; 16) 7 Robert Parrow; 17) 19T Robbie Hackett
1) 29 Gary Gimmler (Palm Beach Gardens, FL)
2) 51 Mark Gimmler (Palm Beach Gardens, FL)
3) 82 Brian Maddox (Brandon, FL)
4) 15Jr Geoff Styner (Cape Coral, FL)
5) 6 Frankie Hurst (Odessa, FL)
6) 2 A.J. Maddox (Tampa, FL)
7) 31 Channing Conley (Leesberg, FL)
8) 22 Dustin Henderson (St Cloud,FL)
9) 7 Robert Parrow (Wilton Manor, FL)
1) 20 Amanda Ferguson (Montverde, FL)
2) 67 Scott Adema (Ft.Myers,FL)
3) 19 Keith Butler (Riverveiw, FL)
4) 21 Jimmy Alvis (Seffner, FL
5) J1 Michael Tharpe (N. Ft. Myers, FL)
6) 69 Ric Voisey (Wesley Chapel,Fl)
7) 6X Skeeter Faulconer (Lutz, FL)
8) 19T Robbie Hackett (Riverveiw, FL)
Have an opinion on
this story? Post a message on
The Real Racin USA Florida Fan Message Board! or Email KARNACto send a letter to the editor!